Friday, October 28, 2005

SELL YOUR DEAD SOULS

I hate promoting shit... but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. So in order of dates... here's your fun for the next few days:

TONIGHT

come find out why we're nominated by Paper Magazine as one of the best nyc parties. come dressed up. make out with someone cute.

SUNDAY

I went to this party on thursday night a few weeks ago and it was one of the best parties i'd been to in a while that i had nothing to do with and wasn't misshapes.

WEDNESDAY, NOVEMBER 2
My brother is making his DJing debut at Gothamist's 5th Movable Hype show. Jen Carlson booked the night and the line up is pretty great: The Capitol Years, The Cloud Room, Snowden, and Bravo Silva. Smoke tons of weed and show up wearing comfy shoes.


So where do i start? From the beginning? From the end? An ending fitting for the start...

In all honesty, my life has been pretty busy lately. Non-stop, and when it stops, i'm not really in the mood to update my blog. Partly because a lot that happened in my day really can't be blogged. The people i see, the things I do... everyone wants their secrets kept secret and I'm starting to be one of those people.

Last week is all a blur of dates lined up. At one point my friend Robbie showed up with his incredibly good looking (and straight. and single) friend Juan. I ended up meeting up with them at some point, i think wednesday, at Hi-Fi... after having dinner with my family and israeli cousins. I then drove downtown, met up with Alex and co, went to Hi-Fi to meet up with Robbie and Juan and my friend Patrick who was in town with his band Youth Group that had opened up for Death Cab earlier in the night. We all stayed there til it was really fucking late. Gurj put us in a cab and we went home.

Thursday I went to see my old friend's band, Vega 4 play a showcase at Epic Records. I don't know if I was technically supposed to be there since that's a rival label to mine... but as a guest of the band, i thankfully wasn't ushered out. My friend Bruce plays guitar in V4 (they're now called Hopeland, btw), and I met him in 2000 when they were recording their first album for Capitol Records. A doppelgangher of Gaz Combs from Supergrass, I thought Bruce was the cutest thing I'd ever seen and made quick friends with him.

We remained close all these years. I know that having a friend for five or six years is no big feat, but in this city, that sort of thing happen rarely. I've always appreciated Bruce.

After Bruce's showcase I went home to see my interns and get working on the final NOY ST singles (which were finally mailed out!!!! at last!!!). I then took Sasha the Intern to see the International Jew Conspiracy and the Bravery at Roseland. I showed up with a flask of delicious peach flavored Zygo vodka and poured half a can of redbull down my throat and filled the rest of the can w/vodka. I started drinking during T(i)NC's set... which was good. By the time the lights went down before the Bravery's set I was a bit buzzed and feeling inhibited enough to have a wacky smoke. By the time the Bravery finally took the stage I was drunk, stoned, and happy. The people I was with, which was mostly people from Island records, all danced around with me. OK, so i'm not the BIGGEST Bravery fan, but their good songs are great. I really had a wonderful time... and since the venue was half full, i had tons of room to enjoy myself.

After the Bravery show i took Gurj with me to Mercury Lounge to see Patrick's band Youth Group. Gurj and I were having a drink with Patrick at the bar when Gurj's poor tired eyes started to give in. Poor thing had to go home before the band even began. I wish she stayed because she would've been there with me when the band played "Skeleton Jar," a song so gorgeous that it makes me want to climb inside the speakers just to get closer to the songs. Sadly, the band didn't play their cover of Alphaville's "Forever Young."

Once their show was through I bid Patrick farewell and headed to the Delancey for the Soulpusher party that Omri throws. I met up with the ridiculously amazing Lauren Ashley and Jenne. I was also supposed to meet up with Bruce, but I couldn't find him and just ended up dancing with Lauren and a friend of hers. I started to get a bit tired and decided that maybe my day was busy enough to warrent me going home. As I was walking out i ran into my friend Sioux who told me that Bruce had been on the roof of the Delancey waiting for me. So I went up and joined him. We caught up on our lives. He looked amazing. When I met Bruce he was wearing baggy skater jeans and skater shoes. This particular evening he was wearing tight pants and converse... finally! I could hardly recognize my suddenly fashionista'd Bruce. He looked so hot!

I had to say goodbye to Bruce after about an hour because my body was about to break down.

Friday I had a meeting on the upper east side. On my way to the meeting Rob Hitt called to see if he could come over to my house later cause Fuse would be doing something about a band on his label (i surrender records) named Valencia. I told him to meet me at home and i'd make sure it would be tivoed. Then Patrick called me because he wanted to see the OC that i Tivoed where they had his band's Alphaville cover playing. He was also on the upper east side, so after my meeting we met up and headed home together. Between Rob and Patrick, we had a whole "lets watch ourselves on tv" party. It was fun.

Patrick had to go to meet up with his band, and some more friends came over to party before heading over to the Orchard bar for a fun filled dance fest.

Then on saturday i saw madonna in the flesh.

more updates coming soon.
love always,
sarah

ps. since so many of you are crazy Josh Madden fans... look at this cute photo:

No comments: