Wednesday, July 29, 2009

AN INTRODUCTION TO QUANTUM SHIT

A lot of people have been noticing and commenting on how much science I've been twittering about lately. I've always had a very hungry appetite for science, but I was really just someone who subscribed to RSS feeds from news aggregates like Yahoo! and Google, or emailed a rocket scientist friend of mine when new space discoveries were made. But recently and randomly, a friend of mine turned me onto quantum physics. As something I sort of thought was either way over my head or tldr;, when my mind was opened up to the world of Quantum Physics it was like I was a new person... particularly, since I've been really trying to face what being a Jew means to me and how G-d is defined/undefinable. I was actually thinking that diving into the sciences and learning as much as I can about the facts could make an atheist, but it's oddly had an opposite effect. Everything about it is just so incredibly fascinating that when I'm not reading about it, I'm thinking about it. I love it. I love the fact that we're all really, scientifically, connected, and how time is just an abstract notion. I love the idea of other dimensions. And most of all, I love wondering what all this really means.

As an introduction to quantum physics, i suggest you check out these short youtube clips. Yes, they're cartoons, but animation is really the best way to understand how these things work since there's no physical way to show them, really. Tonight, I'm diving into String Theory and fasting for Tisha B'Av. Talk about juxtaposition.

Enjoy!


Double Slit Experiment:


Flatland:

6 comments:

Fresh said...

I love your tweets and blogs and it's awesome to learn about the universe of which we are an integral part!

Anonymous said...

String theory is actually one of the coolest topics I've ever come across. PBS put out a great program for it:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/elegant/program.html


Also, have an easy and meaningful fast!

rick/glass pinch said...

sarah write me if you wanna know some good stuff this is my shit

KrippledWarrior said...

Big brained intellects excite me and drive my imagination machinery into overdrive. Brain me all night and day! Seriously sister man; you really ponder elemental physics as a hobby? It is so refreshing to have tripped across your blog while reading Courtney Love's twittering. It is seldom I find such wonderful, knowledgeable, non-pseudo intellect in the blogosphere. Congratulations on such a thought provoking blog...

Aleigha Dickens said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
jennifer / bumblesea said...

I geeked out over this documentary about parallel universes, maybe you'll like it too since you've got a quantum physics boner too.

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=8094E4006A5EF5CA

also the link to your etsy shop on your menu is spelled "esty"

just sayin.