Tuesday, September 21, 2004

THE NIGHT I WAS BURGLARED

Last night started as any other night would. Karen and I went to check out a space for as new party we want to throw. We picked up my friend Josh afterwards and headed to union square where we all parted ways for a little while. Karen and I met back up at bar ELEVEN for Audrey's party that we were DJing (or pressing play and stop on the cd decks as some of you like to point out), and had a great time. We danced. We sung off key like dying songbirds of prey. We hugged and kissed our friends and played a set consisting of all songs we wanted to dedicate to each person there -- including "here comes the bride," which I had in my collection from the wedding i DJed a couple weeks ago (by the way, i love djing weddings if anyone needs a dj).

After our set we danced around to Audrey's set for an hour and then headed over to the Darkroom to meet up with people. Me, Karen, Leigh and Michael sat at a table taking photos of ourselves doing the Leigh photo face that all those people on this blog said she pulls in pictures. I made fun of her for being too young and too skinny. It was fun. Razorlight were also there, and I managed to remember that they were playing a show tonight at Sin-e (8pm if you want to go) and asked to be put on the list. Being ever-so-polite, they assured me that i'd be taken care of. There will be an after party for their show at the Darkroom tonight, incase you're looking for something fun to do.

Anyway, we were all enjoying ourselves, chatting about family and friends when Pete the barback came up to me holding my drivers license. "Is your name Sarah?" he asked. "Yeah, what's up Pete? What are you doing with my drivers license?" "Your bag was stolen. Some dude took your money, but i think everything else is in there. We found it in the garbage with some other purses."

I went to the bar to collect my items with the other girls when Josh asked if everything was there. I told him all was there except for my money (which i knew was stolen), my phone (which, if you've ever seen it, really is a piece of shit and hardly works), and my digital camera. I was packing my shit when i realized that Josh had disappeared. I looked around for him for a bit and went outside to see if he was there. I ran into Pete who then asked me if i got everything back.
"Yeah, cept for my camera and phone."
"Oh, your friends got that stuff back."
"They did? What are you talking about?"
"They found the dude who stole it and beat him up. Everything was recovered."

I walked up the block where i saw a bunch of cop cars and found Josh and Co. talking to a couple of cops while another few were trying to handcuff the robber. The thief was yelling that he didn't steal anything, yet, each time they reached into his pockets to pull out whatever my friends were unable to get, someone would claim their item. "Hey! you stole my stripper scented perfume!" I yelled at the dude as the cops pulled my victoria's secret love spell spray out. However, my phone and my camera were still missing. The dude was screaming from the cop car that he didn't steal anything and that he was the door man for the Darkroom as Jason (the owner) and the actual doorman stood by in disbelief.

Josh's friends told me that the dude was standing about 40 feet from the darkroom trying to sell our stolen goods. Can you fucking believe that? Forty fucking feet! Dude, if you're gonna sell our stolen shit, you should try going to at least orchard street or Houston. Don't stand across the street from Max Fish! So the dudes spotted him, he started throwing a bunch of shit around and they managed to hold him down to collect the remaining items (which included another girls' phone, travelers checks, etc.). The guy was possibly on something -- they suspect cocaine -- since he was flipping around like a fish and unresponsive to the blows they were giving him (btw, i dont condone violence at all, but i guess in this case it was needed).

I told the guys i still hadn't found my phone or camera and started picturing the person he sold my phone to calling the people in my phone book. To be honest, and i'm really not trying to be like "oooh, look whose number i have in my phone!" i was sort of worried that whomever got my phone would end up texting/calling up the musicians i have in there and telling them they suck. "Hello, Matchbox Twenty? You suck!" I don't have mb20's number, but you get the picture.

The guys told me that the dude had been throwing shit around and that my phone was probably among the stuff being tossed, so it could be under a car. Josh and I started walking up the street looking under cars when he got the bright idea to call the phone. Just as I stood in front of a car, my phone started ringing... it was sitting on top of the hood!

Still no camera. :(

For those of you who can't get into the Razorlight show or the Green Day show tonight, Inouk is playing at Tonic and definitely worth checking out. Is anyone gonna see Metric tomorrow at the Bowery?

And since putting Leigh's photo up brought me a shit load of extra traffic yesterday, i figured i'd put another one up. This time there's a little something for everyone with the addition of GEO.

32 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh man, oh man, so close to perfection. And I'm not talking about the dude.

Tankboy said...

Yup, she's attractive alright.

Anyway, if you can you should go to the Green Day show. It's a trip to see them play the whole new album from start to finish...and yes, they play a few of the old "hits" for the encore.

"American Idiot" in its entirelty is pretty fucking cool live, though.

Nylund said...

The word is burgled Sarah. You were burgled.

So, honestly, I was feeling sympathy and all that and also thinking, "oh thats why she didn't respond to my test message..." and then I read that you found your phone, and I am mad.

I am very very upset with you young lady.

Ok. I'm not really upset.

But I do wish I had strong men to beat up people for me too. Oh, and I think she has forgiven me, but if not, tell Leigh I'm sorry I threw a shoe at her that one time. I was a very grumpy drunk that night and she didn't deserve to have a shoe thrown at her head.

Ultragrrrl said...

i spelled it wrong on purpose! i was trying to be funny. i failed.

i tried texting you twice but it didnt go through. i dont know what the fuck was wrong with the phone. my phone has been acting up lately. anyway. i wrote back to say that i was sick on sunday and kinda shaken up by the whole dog in the hospital experience so i stayed in. if you read the post above and gather who the people are, you'll know that everything is lovely.

Anonymous said...

that girl is cute but i'm sick of seeing her face. overexposed much? look what happened to spears.

Ultragrrrl said...

YES! Platinum Recording artist Britney Spears (net worth of approx. $50 million) and Leigh of the indie rock disco party MisShapes (net worth of approx. $50) are totally comparable.

Anonymous said...

Geo is an ass. He's extremely rude and thinks he's so hot just because he has a stupid (and totally over) party. He's stretching the limits for how long you can coast on association with a cute girl. Look at the picture. You can tell what a fucking poseur he is! I'm so glad only Jersey trash goes to misshapes.

Anonymous said...

(it won't let me post under my name but this is Lindsay)

Actually, the correct word is "robbed," if GTBF is going to start the nitpicking! (kisses!)

Anonymous said...

so how old is leigh anyway?

Anonymous said...

that girl is overexposed on this site and on misshape's site.

Anonymous said...

she just turned 20

Anonymous said...

you were neither " BURGLARED" or "burgled." places get burglarized. people get robbed. either way, it sucks.

Anonymous said...

she aint not brittany, she aint no audrey hepburn either. yoanna house looks like audrey hepburn. america's next top model baby! now that girl is worth talkin about.

sorry about your run in with the dark side of the dark room.

Ultragrrrl said...

PEOPLE! i will say it again... i used the word "burglared" on purpose to be (not so) funny (apparently).

Turkish E.T. said...

why is it that extremely beautiful people look extremely smart at the same time?
Doesn't she look like she can recite 2 pages from Dostoyevsky or explain to you that Nietzsche never meant that God was ever alive when he said "God is dead" .
Anyways, in a relative sense since 80% of men will sink into series of stupid actions upon confronting her the above can be considered true.

Anonymous said...

she looks exactly like this girl i went to high school in queens with. i totally hated that girl.

Anonymous said...

don't think there is a HUGE difference between the cheasyness of brittany spears and the cheasyness of the misshapes parties. over-the-top-trying-to-hard-cheasy-too -much-eyeliner-the-80's-are-over-you-are-not-disco-pop-stars-you -are-trying-too-hard. though yes it is so indie right on.

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear that you were "burglared," especially at a place where you were DJing. That sucks, but at least you got most or some of your stuff back.

Sara/Raised By Bees
http://www.herjazz.org/sara

Anonymous said...

you have such an exciting life! anyway this is completely off topic but victoria's secret love spell is awesome I wear it all the time! glad you got yours back! lol

Ultragrrrl said...

if you like that you should buy the Victoria Secret shampoo and conditioner called Very Sexy (or something to that extent). People are always complimenting the way my hair smells... which is amazing since i never wash it, as noted by Greg the B/F.

Anonymous said...

sarah, darling. you must stop posting pictures of the ever-so-gorgeous leigh on this blog. i'm addicted to it enough as is.

Anonymous said...

...green day is not punk rock. as a matter of fact, they are not even rock & roll. they blow huge hairy nuts and are a mtv-generation-modular-music-experiment by the record labels. their watered down version of american politics and foreign policy is about as trite and unimaginative as a white haus press conference...

i'm sorry to hear about the theft of your belongings, though.

Anonymous said...

oh man. i have anger for your purse story. mine was stolen from Galapogas in Williamsburg... was seeing a band next door and paused for some drinking with those who did not want to go to said show and pay ridiculous cover charge. well, the bar was practically empty and my table was full of friends. how did we not see someone steal my purse from the back of my chair? motherfuckers! for once it was a good thing that i compulsively slather bonne bell lipsmacker on my lips every ten seconds (smell good and look bettah) because i reached for my bag and it was gone! fuckers! within 30 minutes i was home and cancelling all my cards to find that they had ALREADY BEEN USED - in RED HOOK!!!!!!!!!!!!! and you are lucky that you didn't have your ID stolen because as the weeks went by I came to realize that you need it for everything. no, i couldn't go get a replacement because i had been renewing out of state (illegal).... and would have to go back to said state for a replacement. anyhow, i am glad you got your stuff back. be careful with your shit honey.

Anonymous said...

yeaup, she's definitely taste. i must note that whoever commented on geo has a point. he looks so cheezy with his cheeks sucked in for every photo. aswell, i saw him in toronto for the film festival and he was always so self-conscious and silly. is he that insipid as not to realize how he appears? his "look" (contrived as could be) is that of a self-absorbed snob with little if any substance. though leigh is drop dead hot, he just seems her sycophant and basically an unphotogenic joke. sorry geo, but it's time to get a sense of humor because big headphones and a hair-helmet look crazy, not cool. also, he should stop with the cheek biting for photos. maybe he's obsessing over a nasty cancor sore because that's what it looks like. george michael jackson brown

Lawrence said...

The term isn't "stipper-scented perfume". It's "Eau d'Ho".

Anonymous said...

both those people look look like half the people in this city. man that girl is cute but drop dead gorgeous? traffic causing? come on people stop throwin complements around like you're getting paid for it. or like just cuz she's your friend some of her looks will rub off on you if you build her a shrine.

Anonymous said...

"Doesn't she look like she can recite 2 pages from Dostoyevsky or explain to you that Nietzsche never meant that God was ever alive when he said "God is dead" "

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

I'm dying. I can't breathe.

Anonymous said...

Leigh is NOT going to get a modeling contract. She may look tall next to that loser-troll, Geo, but she is a sprite. Models are at least 5'9", but typically closer to 6'.

As far as her looks go, she does have a rare complex quality where she can be (a)cute, (b)pretty, (c)hot, (d)none of the above or (e)all of the above, depending on the camera angle and your own personal preference. That being said, her look is definitely LES/Williamsburg, not exactly the type of look that sells things for J.Crew or Target; essentially the rest of America and where the bulk of the $ funding the modeling business comes from.

So, now that she's been revealed as a fellow blogger, at least we are assured she's got a brain that will help her be successful so she doesn't have to resort to shallow dreams of letting her fleeting looks take care of her well-being.

Anonymous said...

Ha! I think it's so funny how everyone's reaction when they see a cute girl is "hey you should be a model!" man everyone has a ton of cute friends who "could be models" but it seems kind of juvenile to me to go around blogging about it all day and posting her picture everywhere. Especially when that friend could at her best maybe be a model for a Delia's catalogue. I'm sure this poor girl is sick of all this attention and could give a shit about modeling anyways.

Well my friend Amy Gunther is hotter and COOLER than this chick any day and actually used to be a real SUPER MODEL! and she is a cool as hell skater girl who now owns KCDC skate shop in williamsburg so check out:

www.kcdcskateshop.com

if you want to see a girl who is really worth blogging about. I'm emberassed that I have stooped to your level of pathetically blogging about my gorgeous friend but all this talkin about this Leigh girl just has to stop.

Anonymous said...

Hey, hey, Sarah, you've seen the MK&A thing over at stereogum. Photo-face-utopia!

Ashley's definately doing a Leigh, while young miss MK's got a pretty good Ultragrrl going on. Only neither one's doing it as well. Sarah and Leigh are the bizarro-world Olsen twins. That's my new theory. It's not a very good theory, but it's mine. I just need to figure out how to turn it to financial gain now. Maybe I can just sue any time someone says "photo face" or any variation thereof.

Mandy Moore didn't move at ALL. Locked into photo face mode. MK changed sides four times in the space it took Mandy to crack a smile.

I now owe myself $.39 for saying "photo face." Make that $.52, now.

Anonymous said...

poseurs

Anonymous said...

"yeaup, she's definitely taste. i must note that whoever commented on geo has a point. he looks so cheezy with his cheeks sucked in for every photo. aswell, i saw him in toronto for the film festival and he was always so self-conscious and silly. is he that insipid as not to realize how he appears? his "look" (contrived as could be) is that of a self-absorbed snob with little if any substance. though leigh is drop dead hot, he just seems her sycophant and basically an unphotogenic joke. sorry geo, but it's time to get a sense of humor because big headphones and a hair-helmet look crazy, not cool. also, he should stop with the cheek biting for photos. maybe he's obsessing over a nasty cancor sore because that's what it looks like. george michael jackson brown'"


making no personal comments of my own, i wonder what sets geo apart from leigh. they seem to have the same style, cheek-biting, hair-helmet stuff going on. seems to be a double standard here.....