Tuesday, September 28, 2004

NOT ONLY CAN I DIG IT, I ALSO ATE IT

Yesterday was not one of the best days ever.

As I rode my bike home from work, on second avenue, i got doored. Doored is what happens to bike riders when someone opens their car door without looking to see if there's any on coming traffic. I got sandwiched between two cars and a kneeful of my bike basket and slammed into something, i'm not sure what. It happened quite fast and i just sat on my bike trying to gain my breath back and compose myself so i could continue back home, get changed and still make it to the screening of DIG!.

I made it home, got changed, and biked over to the Sunshine to meet up with Josh and Karen, and to my surprise, Lizzy and Maureen were there too. Knowing that Mr. Thighs Wide Shut would be there I made a quick announcement as I entered the theater and promptly found Mr. TWS. Gave him a kiss and got myself ready for my second band documentary in two days (saw the Ramones doc the day before).

The concept behind DIG! is pretty genius. Basically, a young film maker spent 7 years documenting the life and friendship and jealousies of The Brian Jonestown Massacre and the Dandy Warhols. Two bands that started out as the best of friends and supporters turned into two bands who turned competitive and confused. The film's writer, producer, and director, Ondi Timoner, does a brilliant job of putting some sort of sense in a story line that seems anything from simple. It's playing for a month at the Sunshine theater in NYC, and even if you're not a fan of either band, the story is compelling. If you find yourself being a fan of the bands, you'll be stoked to learn that every song BJM ever recorded is available for free on their website.

After the movie, birthday girl Elhaam, Ben (whom i'd like to thank for getting me and my friends in to the screening), Karen, Josh and I went to the after party at 6's and 8's to meet up with Roddy and Rod Skywalker. There was free RedStripe and drink tickets-a-plenty, but something about the movie made me want to either do loads of heroin, or stay completely sober. I chose sobriety for once and spent the night sipping on water. You can see photos of the whole to-do here on Polaroid Scene.

Karen and the Rods and I decided to head over to Hi Fi for Jim Merlis' "I'm leaving!" party (we bumped into the delightful Kat who heard about my first spill and checked in on my condition), and on the way over i had my second bike accident of the night. SECOND. Right in front of Mercury Lounge there's a part of the curb that's sort of like a ramp for cars to drive up on. I misjudged this lip and was unable to maneuver my bike over it. Instead i skidded and then was hurled off my bike head first to pavement. I don't remember banging it, though Karen was certain i did. I recall my knees getting it pretty bad as well as my torso.

I felt so embarrassed that i just jumped right up and hopped right back onto my bike and continued on.

HiFi was fun. Karen and I faced off with a Rod on each team for pool. Her team won. I went outside to call Kill Hannah just as Japanese James, Canadian Melissa, and Rabblerousing Ryan pulled up together from the Von Bondies show at Irving. I downloaded some gossip with James. Gina came out of no where and looked like a gothic goddess and then the KH boys rolled up and gave me hugs that were too tight for my aching body. About an hour later I had to leave since my back was starting to fail on me.

Today, i feel like shit.

My brother just sent me the Roxy Music song "Mother of Pearl" since he thinks it reminds him of Franz Ferdinand. He's right.

Ow.

34 comments:

Anonymous said...

You get to hang out with Roddy Woomble, I hate you. Lucky lucky girl.

Anonymous said...

http://polaroidscene.com/justmonday/IMG_7007.html

3rd from the left! It's a new Olsen sister!

Anonymous said...

Careful with that bike, lady. If I weren't such a hypocrite, I'd tell you to wear a helmet.

And what's with comparing Sarah to the Olsen Twins? Sarah doesn't look like an emaciated elf.

Sara/Raised By Bees
http://www.herjazz.org/sara

Jane said...

omg! i love the Dandys... Unfortunetly the only time DIG is screening in LA i'm off in Santa Barbra playing tennis... I am so sad :(

Thigh Master said...

please shout my name in public or private anytime you like...

Anonymous said...

generic comment wishing, asking, hoping your wellness.


"head first to pavement" lafini bu blog'da haftanin lafi olarak seciyorum. hepimize hayirli olsun. aslinda Ingilizceye bir deyim olarak kazandirilmali, cumle icinde mesela basimiza kotu birsey geldi ie.: "hey how was the exam?" "man it was so bad, I couldn't prepare so I went head first to pavement." gibi.

Anonymous said...

Utterly fucking fascinating.

Also, if you ride your bike so damn much, why are you still fat?

Anonymous said...

You know what the world needs? Another fucking photo of you smirking, with you lip slightly curled. That pose would go over gangbusters. You should give it a shot.

n. said...

for anyone who gets IFC, Dig! is apparently premiering there on nov 5th

The Deceiver said...

OUCH! Holy crap. I hope you are okay after the bike spills. No joke. It hurts. I got run off the road in Charlottesville one afternoon and literally got toppled and dragged down the street. I got home, cut up and swollen, and threw my bike in the dumpster. Never rode it again.

I'm not kidding. My next door neighbors on my apartment floor (who I miss--we used to pass the time drinking wine on lawn chairs outside our doors) moved to China and gave me their bikes. For free. And one of them is brand new. I haven't touched them.

Anyway, be careful and safe, and if you get a chance, tell me how on earth Pitchfork could have possibly given Travis Morrison's solo CD a 0.0.

Bradley Robb said...

Bummer about the bike. But I think this photo threw me for a loop http://polaroidscene.com/justmonday/IMG_7068.html 'cause I lost that exact same model zippo in a cab down in the village.

-Brad

Anonymous said...

jesus man! i was going to write something witty and mean, but then i read some of the shit people wrote above and fuck do they seem like assholes. where does that place me? i just don't know. still, that was some real deal slagging. you guys are bonafide shitsacks. s.t.

Lawrence said...

I'm telling mom on you. Either you get a new bike or stop cycling in Manhattan. And did you have your iPod on like you normally do? The commentators on this post aren't harsh enough when it comes to this. We've warned you a billion times about how you're too short to see over traffic and having headphones on while going down Houston. Seriously, walk more. It's better for you, besides.

Lawrence said...

PS: Franz Ferdinand reminds me of Roxy Music, not the other way around. Ferry my be 60 years old but he rocks better than those young punks ever dream they will.

Anonymous said...

Brother Lawrence likes Roxy Music and Franz Ferdinand. Why don't you just call yourself Brother I Am A Fag?

Ultragrrrl said...

cause that would be my other brother.

Lawrence said...

Anonymus Puss--
Bryan Ferry was getting Jerry Hall when she was still hot. Meanwhile, Pete Townshend was writing "Rough Boys". What's your point?

Anonymous said...

That you're a fag.

Ultragrrrl said...

don't call my brother a fag... other than that, i fucking love that word.

goldenfiddle said...

back to your corners, people.

is that you and melissa auf-der-maur(sp) at polaroidscensters?
why is everybody so good looking? and why does it seem like the photog is twice as tall as everyone else?

Ultragrrrl said...

yeah, that's me and melissa... the photographer held his camera really high whenever he took photos.

Anonymous said...

So as better to avoid embarassing double chinage, obvs.

Lawrence said...

Do continue to spread that rumour. It helps me meet girls at MisShapes.

Anonymous said...

Dude who wants to surround himself with fag hags. Hmmmmm...I'm thinkin' maybe he's a fag.

Anonymous said...

Sorry about the biking injuries, Sarah. I 'doored' someone once by accident and felt fucking terrible. Luckily, he was okay. Hope you feel better soon.

Oh, and Roxy Music is the shit. For a Republican, your brother has decent taste.

Anonymous said...

Brother Lawrence wrote:

"It helps me meet girls at MisShapes."

Man, how creepy must it be for that chick Leigh to see her picture posted all over your blog and realize that you go home and jerk off to her after you give her a ride home from MisShapes?

Lawrence said...

LOL

I'll ask.

Anonymous said...

Okay, so I'm a hater. I've written some of the anti-sarah-stuff the past few days. You might remember me from the "She works for Spin, it's her job to sell mainstream horseshit to scenesters" post. And I totally think that's true.

But dammit. I think sarah looks fucking hot in those pictures. Hotter than Leigh, even. Pervy type thoughts hot. Like you'd want to...oh, nevermind.

I hate myself.

Ultragrrrl said...

um. thank you.

Ultragrrrl said...

the rods are town mixing their album.

Anonymous said...

so, how did all of the bloggers get the invite?

...dana@betterpropaganda

Anonymous said...

You look much prettier sober than bleary-eyed and drunk-faced, young lady, as does anybody. I'm just sayin'. Although maybe it's not as much fun.

I want details on how this shill-for-corporate-overlords thing is supposed to work. Is she supposed to be getting paid directly by record companies? To run a blog full of baby animal pics and IM conversations? They're hardly getting their money's worth, in that case. I'd think she'd be pushing new product rather than the usual suspects anyway. Are we supposed to buy SPIN because we're all FF/Interpol/Killers fans now? She's doing a wonderful job by hardly ever mentioning SPIN itself, or by actually posting covers and content from OTHER MUSIC MAGAZINES that happen to have a picture or article about one of her favorite bands. I'm not getting it.

I think you're all onto something, though. I DID go to Wal Mart to pick up some new items from the mary-kateandashley collection, but the men's department seemed to be all out of everything. I snuck over to the girl's department but nothing fit right. I'm thinking it's all Sarah's influence. She's squarely in the Olsen's back pocket.

And don't forget the baby animal cartels. Every baby giraffe pic she posts results in net sales for the multi-national baby animal conglomerates. The baby hippo says hi, by the way. He's resting comfortably in the garage, wearing his mk&a jammies.

Lawrence said...

More monkey pictures!

Anonymous said...

um, dude? I was kidding around. Bombastic internet bullshit, ya know?

Except that she really does look cute in those pictures.

(I actually gave the Good Charlotte a listen, illegally, on sarah's say so. And it totally blows. It blows with violins and melodrama. It's mainstream horseshit.)