Friday, August 6, 2004

BEST AIM CONVERSATION EVER

My little cousin Maurice is 17 and in a cover band. The kid is amazingly talented, and i'm not just saying that cause he's my cousin, i'm saying it cause it's true. When Maurice was 15 I took him to see My Chemical Romance and I guess it sort of changed his life cause after that he started listening to better bands and got really serious into performing music. He always had a shockingly good voice with great tone and fantastic pitch, but just totally lacked the motivation to start a band cause he figured he should do like the kids in his school and community and open a store once he finished high school. Finally he realized he could sing in a punk band and started one with his school friends. Mind you, they all go to yeshiva (jewish day school), so they're in the "no shows on friday nights" ghetto. Fun times.

Anwyay, Maurice is an amazing performer. He handled his second show with the charisma and stage presence of a seasoned pro, emulating Gerard Way from MCR.

So we're sitting here on our friday night -- both of us stuck at home cause we've both finished our shabbat dinner at our homes and are winding down. He starts IMing me about some Vice party he saw in Vice magazine. Totally freaking out about all the coke and whores they show. Then he's telling me about a show he performed on thursday in Deal, NJ and how the audience of all these uptight syrian jews started a mosh pit so crazy that he and his guitarist jumped into it. Then he was telling me about covering Muse. Apparently they were about to play "Time is Running Out" but decided to have a little break down into "Bliss" and everyone freaked out. Then we had a half hour conversation about the different pedals Matt Bellamy uses -- which pretty much consisted of me saying "he's got custom made guitars and theyr'e built right in." and him saying "no way!" So if anyone could tell me what kind of pedals matt uses so i can tell him i'd really appreciate it. I just love the fact that I had an IM with my cousin about this. It makes me really proud to be related to someone so fucking cool! He's only 17!

No comments: