Wednesday, August 25, 2004

THE GIFT OF GOODBYE

Last night I bid farewell to my favorite person on the planet, Brian, by attending his Karaoke send off shindig. Before heading over, I went to Gideon's so he could feed my face with a home cooked meal (he's such a good cook, it's retarded), and so he could help me decide on which songs to perform off key. We decided on Madonna's "Like A Prayer" (which i performed twice), George Michael's "Freedom 90," and the Yeah Yeah Yeahs' "Maps."

On my way to Brian's I discovered that this town is out of Sparks and was forced to create a homemade Sparks by mixing Old English and Redbull. It actually wasn't too bad. Anyway, i was gonna write more about Brian's send off, but I'm really just totally fucking sad about this to talk about it more. He's my best friend. I see him almost every other day, if it's at a bar or at my house late at night, and now I'm not gonna see him anymore and it makes me really fucking sad. Anyway, he's moving to San Francisco for a software job. I'm excited for him and I hope it works out. I also hope he gets really rich and can fly me out for sunday brunch.

This weekend I'm going to Miami to cover the VMAs. I'm stoked cause it'll be fun, but mostly I'm stoked because one of my oldest and dearest friends is also going. One time we went to the VMAs (2001) and wound up at this crazy party thrown by Wayne Isham at the Hudson Hotel. The two of us, like little mice, ran to the food table and ate as much as we could before the cleaning people took it away. Then we drank what we could find (champagne!) and sat back as we watched a flurry of random raprockers walk through the door. I recall waiting for the bathroom behind Fred Durst. It was odd. At 6am we were still at the party and the sun began to rise. We sat on some outdoor bench with Linkin Park doing some sort of campfire sing-a-long. It was like camp. We never spoke of it since.

Also going is a new friend of mine who is about to get a crash course in my party life. I hope the new friend is prepared. I hope my new friend and old friend get along well, and most of all, I just hope we all have fun.

I've cancelled my plans for tonight so I can watch the new episode of "TOTALLY OBSESSED" on VH1. The shit is genius. The other day they had this couple that treated this cabbage patch kid doll like it was their son. They took it on vacation, built it a club house, started a college fund for it, talked to it. This couple also had a real life daughter that they hardly seemed to care about and she was very resentful of this fact. Then they showed the dad fishing with the cabbage patch kid doll and I couldn't help but think that either this couple is terribly disturbed possibly caused by a lost of a son named Kevin, or this was a Christopher Gest comedy skit. The whole thing was totally out of Best In Show. Tivo it.

Lastly, Alex Chow is having a birthday party on August 27. If you're looking for a good time, I strongly recommend you go to this hot shot shin dig. I'm not gonna be there cause I'll be DJing at Club Revolver in Miami.

6 comments:

grace said...

goddamn, your life sounds fabulous. except the part of your best friend moving away... other than that, though.

Anonymous said...

I love that picture of you being Karen O.

Anonymous said...

The Cabbage Patch thing was more Upright Citizens Brigade than Christopher Guest. Buzz.

Anonymous said...

Ultragrrl! This made me think of you! Panda-Cam!

http://www.sandiegozoo.org/pandas/pandacam/index.html

Raised By Bees said...

"Maps" and "Freedom 90" are my karaoke klassics, too. I like singing "Freedom" to all my gay boyfriends. Image associated with Freedom: watching a drag queen perform it at a drag show, take off her wig, and then two boys instantly start making out.

By the way, I have a best friend who's been in L.A. for five years and when she comes home, we act up even more to make up for lost time.

Sara

Anonymous said...

man, it sounds like things could be worse! would love to see your set list from miami...

...dana@betterpropaganda.com