Tuesday, July 6, 2004

ROSEMARY, HEAVEN RESTORES YOU IN LIFE

Alright, so I've downloaded the new Interpol album. To be perfectly honest, the first time I heard it I was like "this is good... but yeah, it's good." Despite being a fan since 1999 or 2000 or something (not to pull shit like that out...), it took me about a week or two to agree with my friend that Turn on the Bright Lights was an orgasmic album. It was a grower. For whatever reason I thought that Antics would appeal to me instantly. It was appealing, but definitely not something that made me feel less complete if I didn't listen to it at least once in the day. I thought something was wrong with me. Paul's lyrics/voice was definitely stunning, and the band sounded really grand and epic, as promised. But the emotional pull was missing.

Then this weekend happened. Suddenly, like an anvil falling on a coyote's head, I was struck down by its absolute gorgeousness. Paul has such a way with lyrics sometimes -- he's able to make the most ridiculous line sound like absolute poetry written by Rimbaud -- and the band knows how to make those statements sound like the most profound declarations of all time with their swooping sounds that suddenly become soundtracks to your life.

The other day I was riding my bike through the city when "Take You on a Cruise" came on. I must've yelled "i am the scavenger!" really loudly cause everyone started staring at me. And last week I DJed the single "Slow Hands" at Crobar and people were actually dancing to it. I was pretty stoked.

This album just gave me a boner.

1 comment:

n. said...

You are absolutely right about "Antics" being an album that has to grow on you. But once it does... holy shit. And then it just gets better and better. I just hope other people give it as much of a chance.