Friday, May 26, 2006

I JUST WANNA BRING YOU DOWN SO BADLY!

Last night I had such an amazingly fun time DJing at Stolen Transmission. The owner, Jason, booked a show to happen in the upstairs til around 12 or 1am, so he offered to have us DJ in the basement bar until the bands were off, but Karen and I were excited to DJ in a more intimate spot, so we asked if we could just stay there... and it was great. I love small spaces. I love DJ decks that are shorter and fit my tiny body. I like being RIGHT NEXT to the bar... I think Karen was stoked too. If you came and didn't know to go downstairs, i'm sorry. Next time I'll be sure to give a heads up. Maybe we'll have DJs on both floors from now on. By the way, Damone will be performing next week at midnight. That's June 1. You dont want to miss it. I know there's a bunch of dudes out there who read this that love that band.

June 8, 16, and 22 will be the Young Love residencey. I believe all but about 4 people got the YL singles they ordered.. what do you think? The sand on the packaging glows in the dark by the way!

Lately, Karen and I have been participating in what i like to call emo-offs when we DJ. She'll start off with some emo song, and i'll try to out emo here and usually it just ends in a fiery Brand New Deja Entendu mess. I went to the bathroom during our set and came out to hear Panic! at the Disco being played which was followed by Weezer, and then Taking Back Sunday... well, two TBS songs because Brian came over and asked us to play their new single. When I said "well, we're already playing an older TBS song... wouldnt that be a faux pas." he looked at me as if to say "you must be fucking kidding me... your entire set is faux pas" so we played "makedamnsure" next. Honestly, our emo-offs are hilarious to the two of us... not sure about anyone else there, but people were actually dancing a lot.

I really just enjoy watching people dance. I think that's one of the most fun things I can do in my life. And when people are dancing to songs I'm playing them, the feeling is immediately accented by immense joy. When i play a song that fails, the polar opposite happens and I scramble to find the song that will make people cheer. Usually, George Michael's "Freedom 90" will do that, or Dexy's Midnight Runner's "Come on Eileen" or the Strokes' "Last Nite." Last night people were really really feeling the White Rose Movement, which is great because that song is fantastic. I was overwhelmed with joy when the crowd swelled when i played Young Love's "Discotech," and even happier when Dan Keyes came over stoked out of his face.

So i bought a String Quartet Tribute to a band i love... It's actually pretty great. I think i found the album I'll play when I DJ weddings and need "dinner time" music.

Here's a song for you to download... can you guess who it is?

No comments: